Monday, February 09, 2015

Mindfulness Monday: A Different "What If"

I know I said I was only going to post on the first and third Mondays of the month, but then I read the following quote from Ganga White, the founder of the White Lotus Foundation. I found it to be quite profound, and wanted to share it here. So, I guess the first and third Mondays are the minimum. Who knows when an extra post might just pop up, like this one did.

What if religion was each other?
If our practice was our life?
If prayer was our words?
What if the temple was the Earth?
If forests were our church?
If holy water--the rivers, lakes and oceans?
What if meditation was our relationships?
If the Teacher was life?
If wisdom was self-knowledge?
If love was the center of our being?
                         ~Ganga White

No call to action or need to comment. Just take a moment to ponder each line, and what it means to you. Of course, if you want to share your thoughts, you are most welcome to comment, but no pressure!

May we all have a good Monday and lovely week.

8 comments:

  1. I think I'll have to come back later and read it again, because I'm still trying to open my eyes. :) (It was a busy weekend.)

    Happy Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! It's nice you even stopped by. :) I had to really ponder on some of the lines, too. I hope your busy weekend was still a fun one!

      Delete
  2. This is beautiful. Thanks for sharing, Lara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Nicole! I'm glad you liked it. :)

      Delete
  3. You know, I grew up in a scientific family, and, indeed, in the old Czechoslovakia, it was even a bit dangerous to be openly religious, a nobleman and defy Communistic dogma at the same time, but my grandfather used to always say, "No need for churches, if you must, god is in the forests, in the mountains, in the air we breathe and in the kind soul of every person." He was the most intelligent man I've ever known, read and spoke and even wrote his journals in countless languages. I don't know if he did, but I wouldn't be surprised if he studied the wonderful principles of Buddhism and other Eastern philosophies. I've never heard of Ganga White, but will go look him up. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd forgotten that in the 90's I had a yoga video with Ganga White. It was a good video, and I've never seen him anywhere else. Maybe in Yoga Journal. I don't know, but what I loved about this quote was how he used imagery to point out what it might be like if we lived our practice (yoga, mindfulness, whatever). Instead of it being a daily time out, it would be a time-in. It just really hit me as powerful. :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hi, Sabra! Thanks for stopping by! I've wondered how you are. I haven't "seen" you around for a while. Is that because I haven't been on Facebook much?

      I'm happy you have found that ability to be present. I catch glimpses now and then, and know it's definitely something to strive for!

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Please leave your comments below.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...