Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Writing Quote of the Week

"Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia." - E.L. Doctorow


After much thought, I have decided E.L. Doctorow is right.  Perhaps I should say I recognize in the quote some personal truth.  One of the reasons I have continued writing over the last two years is because it gives me an outlet from my own "real" life.  When I sit down and write about Hazel, or Carter, or Julia, I suspend my own reality and enter into a reality where monsters are real, man lives on the moon and a two year old is capable of shape-shifting.  I can forget about the stressors of work for an hour, and emerge the better person for entering this 'acceptable form of schizophrenia'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Please leave your comments below.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...