In celebration of the release of her second novel, Aberration, Lisa Regan is hosting The Aberration Blog Hop: Finding the Most Aberrant Characters. The Hop runs June 6th and 7th so it’s not too late to sign up!
In Aberration, FBI profiler, Kassidy Bishop is on the hunt for serial killer who is an aberration—a freak—even among serial killers. For this blog hop, list your top 5 choices for the most aberrant (freakish or abnormal) characters in fiction, TV and movies!
Before we get started, let’s take a look at the definition of aberration:
Definition of ABERRATION
1 : the fact or an instance of deviating or being aberrant especially from a moral standard or normal state
2 : unsoundness or disorder of the mind
3 : an aberrant individual
— ab·er·ra·tion·al adjective
From the Merriam Webster Online Dictionary
All participants will be entered to win prizes (Amazon gift cards; signed copies of Aberration in paperback and e-book versions of the book).
Lara's List of Top Five Aberrant Characters (in no particular order)
1. Hannibal Lector - He's a messed up dude. He's even more messed up in the books than he is in the movies. And, because of his training as a psychiatrist, he can mess up other people, and enjoys doing so.
2. Bad Guy from the Last Oracle by James Rollins. It's been a while since I've read the story, and my book is in storage, so I can't tell you the bad guy's name. However, he made my skin crawl. He was bizarre, and if I remember correctly, in love/having a relationship with his sister. Ick.
3. The bad guy in the movie Seven. That movie is the only one that actually made me queasy.
4. The mother of the girl with Down's Syndrome in Dean Koontz's novel The Darkest Evening of the Year. She was so sick and twisted that I had to stop reading the book. (She did mean things to the poor girl. I couldn't read about it.)
5. The bad guy in the movie The Cell. By getting to go into his mind, it's tragic to see just how messed up he is. And even more disturbing is seeing how he got to that point, from being abused as a child. I worked on the Criminal Justice Unit of the State Hospital when I saw the movie and it made me sob at the end, because he was so similar to one of the patients I worked with. It was awful.
There's my entry! I hope you run over to Lisa's blog and sign up so we can all see who your top five aberrant characters are! And I urge you to check out Lisa's book when it comes out, too!
Do you recognize any of my characters?
Does any character come to your mind as most aberrant?