Tuesday, October 08, 2019

Writing Ruminations: Writer Reframes

Therapists have a technique called a reframe. This technique takes a negative thought or situation and then "reframes" it to a more positive point of view. Since I'm having some trouble coming up with a blog post for this week, I thought taking this technique and working its magic on doubts that writers often have might be a fun and helpful exercise for me and for you, dear reader, too!



via GIPHY


1. Negative thought: I'll never make it in the writing world.
Reframe 1: I'm glad to have lots of time to learn the craft of writing. When I do make it, my writing will be tight and I'll be ready for success!


2. Negative thought: My writing sucks.
Reframe 2: Certain parts of my writing may be iffy while I'm learning the ropes, but the more I write the better I'll become.

3. Negative emotion: Frustration at grammar or editing errors in stories/tweets/books/rejection letters of famous authors or agents. (I've been seeing this one on other blog posts lately.)
Reframe 3: Obviously famous authors or agents are human too. Maybe the fact they make mistakes means that I can achieve that level of success too, if I keep trying.

4. Negative thought: What if I make a mistake? (My favorite.)
Reframe 4: A mistake in your manuscript is not life threatening. Any re-writing you would have to do will only make you a better writer, and you have the time to play with it.

5. Negative thought: No one is going to want to buy this.
Reframe 5: This is the story I want to tell right now. After I write it, I can decide what I want to do with it. Being prolific is maybe better than being perfect at this time in my writing career.


6. Negative thought: Another rejection???
Reframe 6: Good practice. Rejections don't necessarily mean you're a sh*t writer and are going to happen. I'll keep submitting and keep writing. If I don't, I'll guarantee I'll never be a success.


via GIPHY

7. Negative thought: I have to get an agent/sell a mound of books/make a certain amount of money to be happy.
Reframe 7: I can find joy in writing right now. Writing is fun and creating is magic.


Do you have any negative thoughts that plague you, or have you seen any mentioned by other writers? Write them in the comments and either write the reframe yourself, or we can work on the reframe together!

5 comments:

  1. I've had so many negative things said about my writing when I started out, that I purposely forgot them! Even some of my published books have awful reviews. It hurts, but I realize what I write isn't always everyone's cup of tea. Meanwhile, I enjoy the heck out of the writing process and that is where my joy blossoms. I've taken writing breaks, but I don't think I'll ever quit until my fingers fall off. To heck with what others think. If I like it, that's what matters. If it sells, great. If not, I found joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your reframes! I struggle a lot with the fear my short stories won't be accepted. But to reframe that I say they haven't been accepted by the right one yet. :) It's a battle though! To even remember to reframe is hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All kind of technical help related to Binance online software
    Are you occupied in Binance errors and troubles? If you don’t know how to deal with such issues and looking for solutions to deal with it, you can always call on Binance support number which is all the time functional. The team is always there to assist you in every possible manner and makes sure to serve the best quality assistance to users who approach them and avail all type of solutions in no time. Talk to them for quality services and the best part is you can call them anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The above article is nice and interesting, thank you willing to share! Greetings success of admin Cetak Buku Yasin Murah wish you deign to visit my website, thank you :)
    1. Cetak Buku Yasin Murah
    2. Pusat Cetak Buku Yasin
    3. Jasa Cetak Yasin
    4. Jasa Cetak Buku Yasin
    5. Cetak Yasin Murah
    6. Tempat Cetak Yasin
    7. Kata Kata Terbaru

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband broke up with me 4 weeks ago..

    I did everything to get my him back but nothing worked.

    I contacted a relationship doctor i saw online.

    I told the relationship doctor everything,

    He promised to fix my relationship problem.

    I am the happiest lady on earth right now,

    Never too late to fix your broken heart.

    You can still get your lover back...

    Fix broken relationship/marriage...

    My relationship was restored as promised,

    My Ex-Husband came back!!!!!!!!!!,

    He promised never to leave me again

    Everything happened just in 3 days..

    Robinsonbuckler11 ( @ ) gmail. com.........

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Please leave your comments below.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...