|By Tsaag Valren (Own work) via Wikimedia Commons|
- A Peryton is basically a stag with wings and feathers, some say it has the hindquarters of a bird.
- Its mortal enemy is the human.
- It is said to cast the shadow of a man, until it kills one, and then its shadow changes to the Peryton form.
- Perytons can only kill one man in its lifetime.
- They lived in Atlantis until an earthquake destroyed it, but the Perytons flew away to safety.
- Jorge Luis Borges is attributed to have created the Peryton in his story Book of Imaginary Beings. He stated he used a long-lost medieval manuscript as a source.
- Perytons are featured in many current stories, including (but not limited to) a Donald Duck comic, the bestiary of Dungeons and Dragons, and in the novel The Unicorn Sonata by Peter S. Beagle.
Isn't that a unique creature?
Have you ever heard of a Peryton before?