Saturday, June 18, 2011

Optimism in a Nutshell

Think big thoughts but relish small pleasures.  ~H. Jackson Brown, Jr., Life's Little Instruction Book.


There it is.  The quote by H. Jackson Brown, Jr.  defines an optimist.  An optimist keeps a positive attitude by finding the joyful in the small, while looking forward to the big.  


For me, as a writer, that means enjoying the creative process, and celebrating a well-turned phrase. It means delighting in the enjoyment others have in my stories, and the satisfaction I feel when they "get it."  It means appreciating the work of others, and the help that others give me, allowing my writing to grow and mature--all while I continue to dream and "think big thoughts."  When I relish the small pleasures of writing, it makes the long, hard journey of publication so much more palatable, so much more enjoyable.  


For me, as a human being, enjoying the small things in life--hugs from my children and husband, a smile of thank you from a stranger, the knowledge I helped someone--keeps me grounded on what really matters in life.  It balances me from getting all twisted up when I get a rejection on a story, or I don't meet my word goal for a couple of days.  


Writing is a part of me, but it doesn't define me.  Writing is a pleasure that helps me be fulfilled, not the end result of my life.  By relishing small pleasures, I can be happy no matter what happens in life.  And, for me, that is more important than any publishing contract.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Please leave your comments below.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...