Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Letting Go Is Hard To Do



Do you ever get caught up in the net of perfectionism? I totally agree that writing well, having a good grasp on the craft of writing is important. But when does mastering craft morph into the hideous monster of perfectionism?

The fear of getting something wrong can be paralyzing. It can grab a writer by the throat and send them trembling to their knees. Well, maybe it's not that bad, but it can stifle creativity. Brain research indicates that when the Amygdala is screaming it's not safe (ie. having an emotional reaction like fear), the rest of the brain isn't interested in functioning. It just wants to get back to the status quo and feel happy and snuggly-safe again..

What can we do then, if we are stuck in the process of making everything perfect? At some point, we have to let go. We have to accept that maybe our work isn't the best of anything, while acknowledging it has value in and of itself. We have to get to the point that we recognize we've done our best and it's time to move on.

Making a mistake is not the end of the world. Having a typo isn't instant writer career death. That's the Amygdala talking. As stated in the quote above "life goes on."  With each new story or novel, poem or essay, we will grow and learn and get a little closer to perfection. It's okay for us to not know everything at any given time.

The only thing that can stop us from being successful writers is not writing. I'd add never finishing what you start, too. Oh--and not letting other people see our work, ever.  In other words, if we don't have anything to offer to readers, we are going to fail. If we have a pretty good story, even if it's not the best, we have a start. And then we can only improve.

12 comments:

  1. I'd like to be perfect, but I know that I'm far from that in anything I do. So what I strive for these days is to write from the heart and make sure that what I write is something I would read and buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite wise, I think. Perfection isn't attainable, but it's a good direction to move toward.

      Delete
  2. The author's note in my soon to be released and unread book "I Used To Be Stupid" says,

    "In a never ending battle against perfection twenty-seven spelling, punctuation, and or grammatical errors in this manuscript have not been corrected. Please do not point out these errors to the author…I no ware them at."

    Kinda takes the pressure off...unless there are more than 27 errors.

    I hate proof reading...probably one reason i am unread.
    Nice post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of leaving errors, because that way people really shouldn't be looking. Proofreading is bad. I always forget grammar rules. Comma's are not my friend!

      Delete
  3. Oh, this! This is such a problem for me. I really do get stuck on a scene and can't leave it until I feel it's polished. I really wish I could let go and just write a NaNo-type first draft, but I can't seem to do it. I'm a very slow writer because of it. Blah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you - because I'm a lot like you! I have figured out a way to trick my self into getting words onto a page without my inner editor kicking in at the moment, but then I feel anxious and unable to wait until the draft is done before I start looking at it for editing. It feels like misery!

      Delete
  4. Perfect would be nice, but reality is reality. You are a great storyteller with a wonderful story to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Stacy! Perfect would be amazing, but I don't think even the Masters were perfect. And then, what's perfect, anyway!?

      Delete
  5. Anyone who knows me would laugh at the suggestion of perfectionism. Close is good with me. Thanks, Lara.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good observations, Lara. I agree wholeheartedly.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Please leave your comments below.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...