Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Weekly Photo Challenge: Purple

Back in April, I joined the My Name is Not Bob Platform Building Challenge.  The challenge gave birth to a friendly writing community, thanks to the hard work of some talented and dedicated writers - both poets and prose, alike.  Over the weekend, a couple of the members--Veronica Roth, Rebecca Barray and Gerry Wilson--clued me in to the WordPress Weekly Photo Challenge.  While I may not participate every week, it sounded like a lot of fun, so I decided to give it a try for today's post.  This may be a great way to keep my blogging schedule through Camp NaNoWriMo, too!


Weekly Photo Challenge: Purple





If you look carefully at the bottom middle, you can see a bee gathering nectar. I got down on my hands and knees to get the camera close enough to show the differentiation of the flowers, and the bees showed up just in time to get their picture taken, too.  


Some call the flower a native wildflower, others might call it a weed, but I love them, no matter what they're called.  They bloom throughout the summer (if we don't mow them off), and are a beautiful splash of color to the otherwise dusty yellow of the dried prairie grasses.


On a sad note, last Friday was the final post for the Life List Club Blog.  I will be keeping my Life List, although it shall return to the boring name of "Goals."  I also will be re-running some of my posts from the LLC Blog, to help with the stress of Nano, so if you recognize a post, that's probably where it came from.


Have a great week, and we'll see you on Friday!

26 comments:

  1. My favorite flowers are often in the weed Family. I don't lie them being mowed down! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have some beautiful little yellow flowers (weeds) that bloom in the spring and they cover the ground where the wild grasses aren't (our yard.) We don't have an actually yard, we just mow the prairie grasses down and kill or dig up the cactus that's encroaching! I hate to mow those yellow flowers, though. We usually wait until it's absolutely necessary. :)

      Delete
  2. So pretty! And it's so cool you got the bee in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weeds need loving too! Pretty picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I always think of Alice in Wonderland where she is small and goes into the flower garden when I think of wild flowers that are considered weeds. Poor flowers...

      Delete
  4. Flowers and butterflies are my favorite to photograph! My husband groans every time I break out the camera. :)

    Nice photo, Lara!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane! Considering your photography prowess, I really appreciate the compliment! Did you feed my fish?

      Delete
  5. Beautiful!! Weeds are some of the prettiest flowers, IMO. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a beautiful purple. I can see why you were drawn to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the only bunch of purple flowers in our yard. For that matter, it's the only wildflowers. It just showed up. Usually there are several clumps!

      Delete
  7. I call them lovely! I'm glad you don't mow them.

    Nice to meet you yesterday on Emily's blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming over, Carol! I loved your interview!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful photo and I love that you caught the bee! As far as I'm concerned, if it flowers and I enjoy it-- it's not a weed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOOOH, I for sure didn't notice the bee without you mentioning it. A good sign that I'm moving too fast, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are anything like me, you kind of skim through blog posts. I would love to actually sit and read - but on Mon, Weds, and Fri. there are sooo many! I am seriously thinking of making a blog reading/commenting schedule.

      Delete
  10. What a fun challenge to be a part of! Good luck with Nano!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kimberly! First Nano day done! Wasn't too painful!

      Delete
  11. Best wishes with NaNo. I wanted to sign up, but decided to wit until November. Maybe. With school starting back up this month, I decided i had too much going on to try a new novel on a deadline schedule.

    I would love to chat, maybe through email, and see what we could work out for CP's. You are the first invitation I've had, so I REALLY EXCITED!!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog today and offering your encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly! I'll give you an e-mail, or you can e-mail me at laschiff(at)ymail(dot)com!

      Delete
  12. Purty! Those remind me of garlic flowers. Just don't pick 'em for a bouquet...unless you really, really like the smell of garlic. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to go and break off one of the leaf stalks and see what it smells like! I actually noticed how odd (and now that you mention it, like chives) the leaves are! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Please leave your comments below.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...