Thursday, March 15, 2012

Memes and More

It's my turn!  Thank you Cindy Reynders at Saucy Lucy Wisdom and Nicole Pyles from The World of my Imagination for giving the chance to participate in this fun meme. (I feel weird using the word meme, just for the record.)


The rules, as I'm sure most of you know, are:
1. Go to page 77 of your current MS/WIP
2. Go to line 7
3. Copy down the next 7 lines, sentences, or paragraphs, and post them as they're written.
4. Tag 7 authors, and let them know.



From Finding Meara, here are my lines (Hazel is speaking, talking to her half-brother, Quinn):


“What are they?”  I scanned the trees, looking for any sign of the magician who had been hurt helping me.  

I didn’t see him, and I didn’t see Garron, either.  Since getting Meara back, Lucian had lightened up on finding me.  Maybe he figured we would come to him ourselves.  I was a little worried, since that was exactly what we were doing.

“Earthforce magic uses the elements to effect change in the world, kind of like Wicca, only stronger.  Lifeforce magic uses the energy found in living things to work change.”

“How come you can use both?”

That's them! I'm pretty sure that they will change once I get that far in revisions (maybe this week - I hope), but for now, there they are.

The "more" part of this post is that I was also tagged by Cindy Reynders.  There were some interesting questions, so I picked out the ones I hadn't answered yet and will answer below.

If you could do anything tomorrow, what would you do? Edit, revise, all day long.

Describe your happy place.  Being out with my family.  I miss them terribly when I'm gone.

What was your first happy memory?  Getting a stuffed Eeyore toy when I was two and a half.

What was the scariest thing you've ever done? I can't think of anything.  I am anxious by nature, so lots of things seem scary, that aren't really.

What is the funniest thing you did today? I'll go with ruining the group dynamic at the table I sat at during the workshop I attended about relational aggression.  As part of an activity, we had to tell the other table members if we would trust them or not.  All of them were strangers to me, so I told them I didn't trust any of them (with that disclaimer of course - they were strangers).  I guess I offended them.  Nobody talked to me the rest of the day.  I actually thought it was pretty funny.

What is the strangest place you've ever got a story? I used to pull cards (one verb card, one character card, and one setting card) to come up with story ideas.  I ended up with a person with mental illness, a bank and sex.  It became Phantom Deposit, the story that was published in Steamy Screams, and the only story I've been paid for.

Where do you write? Usually on the couch with my netbook.

If you just won a ticket to anywhere in the world, and you had to take me, where would you take me and why? Tough to say.  I want to go to the British Isles some day.  I also would like to see Chichen Itza in the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico; Assisi, Italy; and go back to Machu Picchu or the Redwood Forest, so I don't know where we'd end up.

Now, I get to tag seven people for the Lucky 7 meme and they can answer the tag questions, too, if they want.  The lucky seven are:

Tony Slater at Adventure Without End
Emilia at My Imaginary Beings
LG Smith at Bards and Prophets
Mike Schulenberg
Gary Gauthier at Literary Snippets
Sonia G. Medeiros
Susan Fields

Don't forget the Blog O'Hop this weekend - go sign up if you haven't yet!  I've also been invited to the Great Star Wars Blogathon, so if you see a couple of Star Wars related stories, don't be surprised!  If you want to know more, go here.

19 comments:

  1. Haha. Lara, I would have said the same thing to that group of people. I don't know you, so of course I don't trust you yet :)

    Love your excerpt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support of my decision! I couldn't believe the other people at the table were like "of course I'd trust all of you". I wanted to say "Are you for real?"

      Delete
  2. I write on the couch too! yay for writerly couch potatoes! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your excerpt, and great answers! Thanks for tagging me!

    One of my earliest favorite memories was when I was really young, no idea how young, and I LOVED Pippi Longstocking. So for my birthday, I really wanted a Pippi Longstocking doll. I opened my gifts and there wasn't one. Then my dad gave me a note telling me to look on the dryer in the basement, and there she was! That's the only time I can remember my parents making me hunt for a gift, they must have known how desperately I wanted that doll. Thanks for bringing back a great memory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a cute story! I wonder why they put her on the dryer? I remember reading Pippi Longstocking, and thinking she was the most fun little girl I'd ever read about! Do you still have the doll? I have my Eeyore. He is sitting on the dresser in my closet. I can't stand the thought of having him packed away somewhere - he's been with me through pretty much everything, until my husband came along!

      Delete
  4. Haha...I think you should employ the verb, character, and setting card technique more! :))

    And thanks for the tag. I've been reading lots of people's excerpts for this. Fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked the tag - I never know! I will be looking for your meme, then! :) Those cards definitely are a fun way to come up with story ideas...

      Delete
  5. Great descriptions of magic in your excerpt. It caught my attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily! I hoped the excerpt would be an interesting part- or at least understandable.

      Delete
  6. Hahah! Your workshop scenario is freaking hilarious. By the way, I think I over-fed your animated fish. OCD is a horrible affliction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I have the fish! To keep you here, browsing around, and feeding them!

      Delete
  7. A very nice seven lines. Nice meeting you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed the seven lines, as well as the answers to the tag questions. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to seeing your seven lines! I'm hoping it might be from the expanded Norwegian story. (I can't remember the name...)

      Delete
  9. Thanks for tagging me =) will post mine when I figured out who to tag (the shyness hinders me once more). Among the text I got is a bit which I though to use in an encyclopedia of Verannia post which is kind of cool. I panicked first that the excerpt had spoilers, but no :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read it! I'm glad you didn't mind being tagged!

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Please leave your comments below.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...